Old December 13th 05, 11:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default To RHF, et al. Re Loops

Hmmh, 200ft from my house would be in my neighbor's neighbor's yard. If
you live in an urban environment, you appreciate the low noise. I have
at least two street lights within 200ft, and probably 4 if I bothered
to research it. Those buggers are really noisy....................

Changing antenna types will not reduce the pickup of that noise,
unless there are nulls in those directions.

When I finally gave up the long wire, it was after using a seriously
long wire (about 100ft) in a very remote area, and compared it to 40ft
on the Wellbrook ALA100. The Wellbrook kicked ass every time. I've
been fiddling with multiple turns with the ALA100, and finally have
some local BCB stations forcing the atennuator to turn on.

Well sure...The small loop, "I assume that is what the wellbrook is",
has good nulls. You are comparing apples to grapefruit. Has nothing
to do with the *fictional* noise reducing qualities of the loops. Has
do with the nulls. If you have two wire antennas, and one is quieter
in a certain direction that another, it's the inferior antenna. Noise
is
RF, same as the desired signal you are trying to pick up. If you
reduce noise in a certain direction, you will also reduce the level
of any desired signals in that direction.
MK