Old December 14th 05, 05:50 AM posted to rec.radio.swap
Bob Miller

Default Icom 735 common solder joint problem

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 15:32:40 -0400, Last Rebel wrote:

years ago guys,this radio lost its readout and sound and it was linked
to the cold solder joint and someone found out what it was,was
released so we could fix this but I never had one so I was not
interested.this has happened to a local ham I know,does anyone know
what this fix is...thanks please reply in here first...

If the frequency is frozen, it may be the encoder behind the tuning
knob. I had to have my encoder fixed; the technician replaced a couple
of diodes.

If there's no sound or reception, it may be the vfo; replacing the
plastic trim caps of early 735s with new ceramic trim caps will fix
that; I had to have that done, too.

bob
k5qwg