Old December 14th 05, 06:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Korbin Dallas

Default can a picture tube be used as an RF amplifier?

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 00:30:21 +0000, Dan Andersson wrote:

wrote:

Hi,

I get a lot of broken TV's for scrapping from time to time, and it
seems that just getting
rid of the tube in the trash is a shameful waste. But I do know that
these are about the
only remaining vaccum tubes still in manufacture in this country. I
understand that most
of the power is supposed to go through the electron gun of the tube,
but I wonder if the
electron gun could be reconfigured as a linear final? Bad idea?

The Eternal Squire

Don't bother with the CRT, look for the drivers instead. These was typically
a penthode PL509 tube or the US equivalent. These makes very nice linear
pa's and was often parallell connected. Four of them made a good 500Watts
pa when fed with 1300Volts. The power supply for these pa's is normally
made by doubling the mains power... very nasty but also very very cheapo!

Cheers

Thats assuming that this is a Tube Chassis TV Set which are rare
collectors items these days.

Just junk the sets and start with some technology thats been used in the
last 25 years or so.

--
Korbin Dallas
The name was changed to protect the guilty.