Old December 14th 05, 04:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Robert11

Default Gas Discharge Lightning Protector Units ?

Hello:

Thinking of getting (finally) one of the gas discharge tube lighning
"protectors: for my receiving only long wire antenna.

Radio is grounded (hopefully) via a solid strap to the water pipes and also
via the ac power center-pin
grounding pin.

a. They seem to come in two flavors. One with an extra lug for running
another ground wire, and those that don't; the argument being, I guess, that
the metal case connects to the chassis
(e.g., via a short piece of coax), and thus shunts any voltage transients
that way.

Any opinions on whether the lug with a separate ground wire is a good idea
and really needed ?

b. Alpha Delta units still pretty much the state of the art, or... ?

c. They usually quote a number like 60 V for the gas discharge tripping.
Wouldn't this usually be more than enough to fry the front end ?

Thanks,
bob