Old December 14th 05, 05:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Default A Bit of Radio and WWII History - World War II RAF Gibson Girl Radio Antenna Rescue Kite

RHF wrote:
For One and All,

A Bit of Radio and WWII History

World War II RAF Gibson Girl Radio Antenna Rescue Kite

http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ6587051567

NOTICE - This are NOT my eBay Auctions and
I am NOT associated with the Seller;
Nor am I 'promoting' this item For Sale.

Hey - Look-Up in the Sky !
It's a Bird . . .
It's a Plane . . .
Not It's a Gibson Girl Kite ! ! ! )

for your viewing enjoyment - iane ~ RHF
.
.
. .

That is an interesting WWII artifact. Of the many airmen who were shot
down, I wonder if any were able to make contact using this kite
supported antenna.

I would imagine many of those came on the surplus market at the
conclusion of the war. As a kid I found the local surplus store was a
treasure trove of interesting things. A pilot chute with the spring
mechanism removed and a decent fishing weight tied to the strings would
sail a long ways in a good wind. And I disassembled more than one tank
scope for those big solid glass prisms.