Old December 14th 05, 11:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Robert11

Default Classic Dipole Question

Hello,

Have just started reading about, and studying antennas.

Simple question regarding the classic dipole for receiving (although I
imagine it's exactly the same for transmitting):

Hope I can explain my question clearly:

I understand that If the dipole is fed with coax, one leg is tied to the
outer coax shield.

Regarding the end at the radio -

Is the coax shield "always" tied directly to the radio's chassis ground,
(which is also earth ground for my set) ?

Or, are the outer and inner coax conductors sometimes fed into an
isolation transformer, and therefore the coax shield would not connect
directly to the radio chassis ?

Thanks,
B.