Old December 15th 05, 02:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default To build or not to build

If everything works out this weekend I should have about 10w or so to
drive into a linear. My friend here in town thinks I should buy used
Dentron Clipperton or Heathkit. I don't think 10watts would do either
justice. If 10w would give me a KW out with a commercial unit I would
consider buying a good used unit.

Plan bravo is to build. I would have to do tubes in keeping with the
theme of that side of the shack. CW, AM, & SSB are all modes that I
would operate. I only need to operate 160m - 40m. I am experienced
transistor engineer and my early schooling was in tubes , so not beyond
my reach for this type of a project. I have plenty of other homebrew
projects to keep me busy if this one gets scratched.

I need help picking a topology and a tube set. Price and likelyhood of
getting the thing working are two top runners. From the 1965 ARRL
Handbook I see a few different tubes that might qualify. A Pair of 813
in parallel, 3-400Z, 3-1000Z. I am soliciting some opinions on the
topology. Again, all I got is about 10w am going into. I would like
to do a kw or so pep. I am not looking to buy any parts at this time,
so not looking for any 'sales calls'. I need comments like - look at
this tube with this plate voltage kinda thing. Or try driving this toob
with a such and such to get a kw out. I would like to keep the design
required to a minimum and would consider some 'reverse engineering' a
plus at this point. If I can get most of the design out of an old ARRL
handbook then that would please me.

73
Bob
N9NEO