Old December 14th 05, 07:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Mark Zenier

Default New User - New Receiver - Reception Questions

In article .com,
wrote:
My goodness! Thank you all for the incredible wealth of insight and
advice! While I can't say that my problems are yet solved, I can
report the results from my latest tests. Though I'm starting with
relatively little technical knowledge I suspect that I am nevertheless
hooked - if venturing out in -2 degree (F) weather in the middle of the
night to test my radio counts as being hooked.

Here in Seattle, this time of year, a bit before midnight, I would expect
to get what you've got. Nothing. Some bad space weather this week, a low
spot in the solar cycle, and the seasonal poor propagation means that
there's nothing to hear until the Asian/Pacific stations drop down to
lower frequencies for their evening (their local time) broadcasts.
They're broadcasting, but the 17, 15 and 13 MHz signals just don't
get here. Even Radio Australia on 9590 and 9580, at 08:00 UTC, has
been iffy this week.

Try 6165 from 0:00 to 2:00 UTC for Radio Netherlands from their Caribean
site. And try the 15 and 17 MHz bands (I don't do Meters) around 3-4
PM local time. And the 6, 7, and 9 MHz bands in the morning before 9
AM local.

Mark Zenier