Old December 16th 05, 01:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

Default New User - New Receiver - Reception Questions

On 15 Dec 2005 21:22:36 -0800, wrote:

No doubt, though I suspected that. I must confess that it's been fun
trying to ascertain the problem, but it would be oh so more delightful
if I new that I wasn't dealing with a defective radio - both the
manufacturer and the retailer are unwilling to make a call one way or
another. I would have infinitely more energy in trying to hunt down
stations and hatch elaborate antenna plans if I new that there was
definately a possibility of a positive outcome. As it stands, I may be
trying to start a car with no engine - all the while worrying about the
path I'm going to travel.

Put the radio next to an analog TV. Tune from 4 to 10 megaHertz. You
should get all manner of buzzes and whistles. Good and loud.

Tune to an empty spot on the MW band around 600 kiloHertz. Then take
an infrared remote controller (cable, VCR, whatever) and operate it
near the top of the radio. You should hear Buck Rogers machine gun
sounds.