Old October 20th 03, 05:44 AM
Jeff Camp

Thanks for the suggestions, Charles, but FBB is the whole reason I'm looking
at JNOS. I ran it for several years and found it to be very unreliable and
unable to integrate with gateway software. I used FBB to run the local
packet BBS here in Omaha and to forward on VHF, UHF, HF, and the internet.
FBB is great for talking to other FBB systems, but not too good at talking
to anything else.

And yes, I plan to gateway this system through the internet. I'll hold on
to my ham license, though. I need it for my 10-15 hours I spend each week
on HF either on 7.261 or working cw on the low end of 40.

And speaking of obsolete systems, where would I buy a copy of DOS if I
wanted to run FBB? I haven't seen one for almost 10 years.

73,
Jeff
N0WJP

"charlesb" wrote in message

"Gene Storey" wrote in message
"charlesb" wrote

Hope this helps!

It doesn't. Your argument is much that of a Mac user when asked
a PC question. They say buy a Mac, and then list a bunch of
generalities while bashing the PC.

Not really. The guy wanted to know how to get the JNOS software to behave
and I gave an honest answer as to how I would solve the problem. - I would
round-file the JNOS software, and go from there.

I used to test and review packet software, and found JNOS to be the very
lousiest excuse for packet radio software I had ever seen. Despite that, I
did manage to get it working, at least good enough so that I could test

its
functionality for a fair review, so I am familiar with the unnecessary
head-aches and poor on-the-air performance this guy is putting up with.

I gave the guy a little historical info about the software he was using,

and
pointed the way to more modern software that will do a better job with a

lot
less trouble. I was working on the assumption that the guy was not a
masochist, but just wanted a reliable packet radio BBS that would work
without constant massaging and tinkering, or embarassing malfunctions that
lose people's messages.

I suppose that you are free to run me down for trying to help the guy out,
but notice that I won't say a single word about you being an obvious
"protocol warrior", still stuck back in the 1980's.

Charles Brabhan, N5PVL