Old December 17th 05, 04:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Default KAITO 1103 question

wrote:
John S. wrote:
Nic. Santean wrote:

Does anybody know whether Kaito 1103 has PLL ?

I would guess so (having direct frequency input), but
is hard to believe to have PLL and dual conversion at
this price.

In addition, many users report no "chugging" during
manual tuning, and that sounds suspicious too.

I am thinking to get one and I would appreciate your
input.

Cordially

Nic.

Yes, it uses PLL and dual conversion. The result is a radio that holds
on a frequency very well, but tends to generate images of signals 900
khz down (twice the IF).

Dual conversion should eliminate images at twice the second IF
(455-Khz). Does it use up conversion for the first IF?

Couldn't tell you, but there is a russian site that has a highly
detailed review of this receiver. Does anyone have the link?

It uses a 450khz IF and an image of many strong signals can be found
900khz down. In the area of 8.9mhz they do conflict with potentially
interesting signals from commercial aircraft. Otherwise they are not a
problem.