Old December 17th 05, 10:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen

Default Ground Or Not To Ground Receiving Antenna In Storm ?

kd5sak wrote:

Long years ago, 50 yearsor so before I reached Ham status, a thunderstorm
awakened me in the wee hours and proceeded to dance around in the shallow
hill pasture near the house. Stroke after stroke occurred and all so near I
could hear a loud click as the strike occurred and then the diminishing
rumble. I still haven't figured out the initial click sound, it came from
outside so wasn't a house internal electric phenomenon.

I've read that this click is due to the ear's reaction to the strong
electromagnetic pulse. If that's what you heard, it comes from the ear
itself, not from outside.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL