Old December 18th 05, 03:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen

Default Ground Or Not To Ground Receiving Antenna In Storm ?

Ralph Mowery wrote:

This is the first time I have seen it mentioned the ear reacting to the
electromagnetic pulse. Most of the time it is described as the same way
the old WW2 depth charges sounded in the submarines. YOu get the click and
then the boom. I forgot the term used but it is something like an impulse
or pressure shock wave traveling faster than the speed of sound and then the
actual sound wave.

I do believe that any mechanical wave, such as a pressure or shock wave,
travels at the speed of sound, no more and no less. To travel faster, it
would have to be an electromagnetic wave.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL