Old October 23rd 03, 09:32 AM
BRAINIAC

In article ,
Thomas Parkison wrote:
I am thinking about moving abroad and would like to set up an internet
connection from a VERY remote location. Is it possible to do it via
shortwave radio?

Thom Parkison

It is possible. Long ago LX0HST in Luxembourg used to allow shell
access. The system was running Linux. I am in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
LX0HST wasn't on HF, but could be accessed from other stations. I used
to access LX0HST by connecting to DJ0OW on 20 meters, then telling DJ0OW
to connect to LX0HST. There were other paths besides DJ0OW too, I seem
to remember doing it via ON0BEL (?) many times. There were other
gateways in Germany as well. This was all done with PACTOR-II.

I am not sure if LX0HST was connected to the internet, but if it was, I
could have easily accessed anything from the shell.