Old December 18th 05, 05:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Irv Finkleman

Default Ground Or Not To Ground Receiving Antenna In Storm ?

kd5sak wrote:

"Bill Turner" wrote in message
On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 01:48:24 -0600, " hillbilly3302"
wrote:
This summer my 80 foot tower took a direct hit...

73, Bill W6WRT

Long years ago, 50 yearsor so before I reached Ham status, a thunderstorm
awakened me in the wee hours and proceeded to dance around in the shallow
hill pasture near the house. Stroke after stroke occurred and all so near I
could hear a loud click as the strike occurred and then the diminishing
rumble. I still haven't figured out the initial click sound, it came from
outside so wasn't a house internal electric phenomenon.

Harold
KD5SAK

A few years ago I was out fishing at my favorite pond. It had clouded
over, but had not yet begun to rain. All of a sudden I could feel myself
beginning to tingle, it seems to me it was more in the feet, there was
a sour taste in my mouth, and then all of a sudden a bolt from the blue
hit the pond not far from where I was standing -- scared the living heck
out of me. The buildup of the tingling was a matter of a few seconds,
then the bolt, so I still don't have full recollection of just where the
bolt hit. I jumped back and
landed on my butt, but other than that there was no damage. I quickly
gathered my gear (not trusting the statistic that it wouldn't hit twice
in the same place) and headed for the car. I sat in the car and watched
the pond to see if any fish came to the surface to see what happened but
no such luck! This was in the foothills of the rockies and I got quite a
light show till the storm passed over!

Irv VE6BP (still got a few lives to go!)
--
Diagnosed Type II Diabetes March 5 2001