Old September 22nd 03, 03:56 AM
Roger Halstead

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 19:35:23 -0500, "RB" wrote:

The virus is in the original attachments and at the web site the text urges
you to download. If you don't open the attachment, or download the
"security patch", you won't get the virus. However, you will get floods of
this kind of traffic. It's coming from infected computers that have your

That's why I keep changing my posting address. I use a valid one, but
it changes as soon as the spam starts to build.

email address, and from your email address harvested from newsgroups, and
even from some web sites you've gone to. I think the flooding will continue
for awhile longer.

Some ISPs neutralize the attachment, but the message comes on through with
an empty attachment. Whatever, don't take a chance and open the attachment.

If you haven't done it yet, mung your newsgroup email address so this won't
happen in the future. Something like . That will keep
you from getting flooded in the future.

Now that is one of my pet peeves. I always use a valid address,
although it changes from time to time. Every once in a while I
receive an e-mail off a newsgroup and almost invariably the sender
forgets to make the return valid. Those get treated just like spam.

Just go to one of the e-mail services and get a throwaway address. Use
it till it starts getting spam and viruses. Then cancel it and create
a new one. If you don't want to receive e-mail from the newsgroups
don't use a valid address and state so in your sig. The easiest is to
just make the address "don'treply@email or some such that indicates
you don't want to be bothered with e-mail answers.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)