Old December 18th 05, 07:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

Default New User - New Receiver - Reception Questions

In article .com,
"MojaveDxer" wrote:

It's really hard to say if the radio is defective since propogation
has not been so hot this week and Peter does not really know what to
do. Peter you need to get the radio way from the condo and bring the
wind up antenna with you. Go to the a park or anywhere outside and
connect the wind up antenna strech it out over the ground. Dont use
the scan mode but tune the bands manually. Set the tune rate to 5 kz
and fine tune to 1 kz. The 49 meter band should be alive
and full of signals at sunset your time. Start at 5900 mz and tune in
5 kz steps. Unless there is solar flair-out going you should be
receiving something on 49 meters. If this is a no go then send the
Yachboy back. The best portable setup I have come across is the Sangean
909 paired with the Sony AN-LP1 travel loop. This will set you back
$350 US but is a pretty good setup to start with.

That was earlier this week. Conditions have been generally good the last
couple of days. Peter is further north than I am so his reception will
certainly be more affected by any solar disturbance of the ionosphere.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California