Old December 18th 05, 10:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
N9OGL

Default FCC rules need to be changed

There is no indication from you as to why this rule is "outdated". Why
would anyone want to change this regulation?
Dave K8MN

Because although code and cipher can be used to obscure the meaning,
they can also be used for practical purposes which are not yet
investigated. The rule was created back in the 30's for the simply
reason, which holds today, the goverment view is that although amatuer
help with emergency communication amateur's can't be trusted. Amatuer's
since the very beginning were seen as a threat to national sercuity.
The rule was created to keep "spys" and other foreign govenmental
agencies from using ham radio as a tool to sent classified information
from here back to their native land. I mean what other purpose who this
rule be in place but because of that fact. Now what changes would I
make to this rule?? well I would leave the rule as is however I would
have the rule in manner point to 97.309 (b). 97.309(b) is the rule that
states amateur can use unspecified codes provided they are not used to
obscure the meaning. The problem I'm having is amateur operators who
only look at 97.113(a)(4) and don't look at 97.309(b) and are under the
impression that coding is not allowed.

Todd N9OGL