Old December 19th 05, 02:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Frank Gilliland

Default Definitely Not Qualified

On 18 Dec 2005 14:04:25 -0800, wrote in
. com:

snip
In the Army the "front-line" (we called them just "line")
radio users were just ordinary infantry, artillery, or armor
troops who've had quickie courses in using their radios.

Those aren't Signal Corpsmen per se.

My bad. I thought they came from the same stock -- I guess that shows
how old I'm not :-0

Is that something to brag about?

Yep. It takes some big, hairy balls to walk onto the battlefield
carrying a piece of equipment that will be the first thing the enemy
shoots at, especially when the radio is bulky and/or heavy enough to
limit your mobility. The casualty rate for radiomen in combat is even
higher than EOD.

That used to be true but the paradigm has flipped over today.

Very true. Real sci-fi stuff they have these days. Won't be long and
every grunt will be equipped with a helmet-mounted sat-comm complete
with bio-telemetry and "black box" A/V recorders.