Old December 20th 05, 03:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
W. Watson

Default Standing Waves (and Impedance)

I've just begun (and I do mean begun!) a little refresher reading on the
subject of transmission lines from a time *long* ago. I'm trying to make
some sense out of why the emphasis of standing waves. The idea is familiar.
Is it that somehow knowing something about the standing wave on the line
that one can construct some sort of stub to smooth out the input impedance?
If so, wouldn't the stub need to be tuned depending on the length of a
cable? Can this be done somehow by the xmitter?

BTW, is there any analog of electrical impedance in hydraulics or other
areas where waves are widely studied?

"He who laughs, lasts." -- Mary Pettibone Poole
--

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews