Old December 21st 05, 08:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Ferrell

Default Standing Waves (and Impedance)

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 03:41:41 GMT, "W. Watson"
wrote:

I'm trying to make
some sense out of why the emphasis of standing waves.

Here is the short version:
A matched transmission line behaves like the theory books say it does.
The rated power from the transmitter goes through the transmission
line with the lowest possible loss to the antenna where it is radiated
just like the book says.

A mismatched transmission just MIGHT work OK. If there is any
possibility of generating interference, especially TVI, it will. The
currents and voltages on a mismatched line are extreme... There MIGHT
even be some sparks. Power loss will be at its worst for a given line.
RF finds its way every where. Getting zapped once in a while
eventually grows old to everyone. I remember the good old days when
desk mikes were the only way to go. If you got too close, you got an
RF zap on your lip. Solid state rigs don't tolerate a high SWR. They
either protect themselves by reducing power or they require a lot of
maintenance.

You can learn to tolerate high SWR's, but I find it worthwhile to try
to keep things matched. The energy has to go somewhere, I prefer it
leave here through the antenna...
John Ferrell W8CCW