Old December 22nd 05, 07:04 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
Scott in Baltimore

Default Midland 79-290 with modifications

Dana wrote:
I have 1 of those icoms, and like it a lot. Don't use it that much
though. It doesn't cover 220, you are right.

I'll save you the time Zoomtext takes to get to the bottom...

I'd get a 706 if they had better intermod rejection. One guy that
has one has to go to the input to hear me when he gets close to me.
The BMF tower I have for a neighbor kills most radios. I've had to
sell all my Radio Shack stuff. I can't hear anything. An IC-2100
works good here. I still want 6 meters! Oh well, I'll have a killer
10 meter setup when CW goes bye-bye. Those last two tests are easy.

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Scott in Baltimore wrote:

dkennedy wrote:

Well there goes that idea, I wanted a cool looking cb/ssb/weather radio
to mount in my new Jeep Commander. By the way, does a combo radio exist
with cb/ssb/weather/shortwave/frs and a mod to listen to 10 meter? I
don't have a ham radio license but I enjoy listening.

That radio is called an IC-706MKIIG.

With the mod, it covers everything, has 100 watts on HF, and will do
49MHz, MURS and FRS. I think it misses 220 though. With a tech ticket,
you could cover a lot of ground with that one.