Old December 22nd 05, 02:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Default Standing Waves (and Impedance)

John Ferrell wrote:
I never gave the swr on the radiator any thought. That is a good
point.

Hi John, it was supposed to be humorous. I find it amusing that
someone will say, "I hate high SWRs.", while running a
resonant dipole with an SWR of 20:1 (or whatever) on the
radiating elements.

Superposition and interference between the forward waves and
reflected waves on the radiating elements is what brings the
feedpoint impedance of a 1/2WL dipole down to 50 ohms (or
whatever). If it were not for standing waves on a 1/2WL dipole,
the feedpoint impedance would be in the neighborhood of 1200
ohms, similiar to an infinite dipole.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp