Old December 23rd 05, 06:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
mike maghakian

Default excellent receiver test

for a receiver with a good DSP section, that is true, but a manual notch is
a pain in the neck in my opinion, you have to worry about the width and
depth and centering it. the R8 notch was worthless as were most of the
others I have worked with. a DSP autonotch is pretty nice tho.

"Brian Denley" wrote in message
mike maghakian wrote:
do you want to see if your receiver has the "right stuff" ? here is
an excellent test.
in the evening (about 0200-0700) tune to 6139.8 with your receivers
basic settings, you should get a terrible het (wiht 6140). if you can
get rid of the het and listen to the low power south american local
with great clarity then your receiver has the right stuff. if no het
is present, then try later when the station on 6140 is present.

the S800 can do it supurbly with its selectable side band sync. MOST
receivers can't even do a fair job or they take a lot of work to get
barely decent results. some of the receivers that can do it give poor
fidelity.

Most good systems (DSP or otherwise) can also notch it out.

--
Brian Denley