Old December 24th 05, 05:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
west

Default Ant. Considerations for the FT-857D

If you live on a typical suburban lot and were contemplating purchasing a
Yaesu FT-857D or perhaps the new Icom R-7000, what would you buy for an
antenna(s)? Is the QRN bad enough that you would stay way from a vertically
polarized antenna for HF? Should I take an interest in 160 meters or is it a
relatively specialized band that is not worth the antenna considerations
initially? Been away from Ham radio for over 20 years but know enough to
think out my antenna strategy before buying the rig. Thanks for any
comments.

Cordially,
west
AF4GC