Old December 25th 05, 03:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
west

Default Ant. Considerations for the FT-857D

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
nk.net...

"west" wrote in message
. ..
If you live on a typical suburban lot and were contemplating purchasing

Yaesu FT-857D or perhaps the new Icom R-7000, what would you buy for an
antenna(s)? Is the QRN bad enough that you would stay way from a

vertically
polarized antenna for HF? Should I take an interest in 160 meters or is

it
relatively specialized band that is not worth the antenna considerations
initially? Been away from Ham radio for over 20 years but know enough to
think out my antenna strategy before buying the rig. Thanks for any
comments.

Could you give a price range and how much real estate you have ? I would
like a 180 ft tower with seperate beams on it for each band but it is much
out of my price range. Also hard to put up a 160 meter dipole on a 1/2

acre
lot. Tell us what kind of antennas you are thinking of .

A suburban lot is a modest sized lot. Ideally I would have only 2 ant. 1 for
HF & one for 2m/220/440. although I see that there are all in ones available
but that would make the HF part, vertically polarized. I can forget 160m. I
know from days of old the QRN was almost intolerable at times with a
vertical. Thanks, Ralph for the post. BTW: I am only interested in
omni-directional at this time.

west