Old December 26th 05, 12:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
DJ Bjorklund

Default New Old Stock from Universal Radio?

I just bought a Sony AN-LP1 from them a week ago Wed. by phone. I
called this Thursday to confirm shipping. They said it "shipped out
yesterday". It takes a week to ship an in-stock accessory item?
Christmas or not, I wasn't impressed.

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 21:57:22 -0600, "GYT" No Email Address wrote:

Eric,

Yes I had a similar experience a few months ago with them. It was like I was
interrupting them. Maybe they were feeding their cats.

I gave them another chance and ordered a radio from them last week. That's
how people usually treat their customers these days.

Belated congratulations on the Ten Tec.

Maybe, I'll forward this thread to them.

Do you mind?

"Eric F. Richards" wrote in message
.. .
" wrote:

I recently purchased a new Yaesu VX-7R handheld from Universal. The
experience wasn't exactly pleasant, I placed my order (online) on a
Tuesday, hadn't gotten any response by Thursday, called to confirm
order, yes they said they had it but it hadn't shipped. I asked if the
units were in stock, they said they had plenty. Long story short,
didn't ship for another 7 days and when it did got no notification of
shipment.

But the real issue is that I just checked the serial # on the unit I
got and it appears to have been manufactured in January OF 2003. In
other words, next month it will be three years old -- and this was
supposed to be a new unit.

It was in all the original packaging, etc. But is it really possible
that Universal's turnover is so bad that they have three year old
product sitting on their shelves? Does anyone know of any significant
revisions to the VX-7R over the last three years that would render my
unit suboptimal?

Thanks,

greg

Don't know about revisions to the VX-7R, but the Big Two usually
discussed here for purchases have not won any kudos from me.
Universal killed off a $4,000 purchase in 2003 by blowing me off when
I talked to them about purchasing a TT RX-340. Even the poor lady who
passed me the response from the "sales" person was taken aback at it.

I bought from Ten Tec instead.

If I can, I do as much purchasing from Ham Radio Outlet, but it helps
if you know someone. The local (Denver) store has a real jerk there
(who's always available to talk to you since all the experienced
buyers avoid him) and some good people.

As for the Yaesu... call Vertex-Standard (Yaesu) and ask -- you'll
probably get decent help from them about any changes.

--
Eric F. Richards

"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- Myron Glass,
often attributed to J. R. Pierce, Bell Labs, c. 1940