Old December 27th 05, 11:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
David G. Nagel

Default More BPL rollout. sigh...

Jim Higgins wrote:

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 14:41:03 +0000 (UTC), (Geoffrey
S. Mendelson) wrote:

Jim Higgins wrote:

The result? BPL economics absolutely cannot support the
promises made for it. If they have to fulfill the promises it's dead
before it starts.

The flaw in your logic is that Google invested $100,000,000 on Current
Communications. If the trial flops economicaly, they can just keep
pouring money into it until they corner the market.

The way I figure it is they just raised $4b in a stock offering. If the
$3b left over after buying part of AOL isn't enough, they will just
sell more stock.

And the flaw in your analysis is that they'll make up for a losing
proposition with sheer volume.

The thing is that BPL doesn't scale up all that well. The power line
bandwidth is eaten up far faster than cable bandwidth and they can't
get more by just adding some new transducers using a different
wavelength and keep going. BPL will slow down quickly as subscribers
are added and it won't be as fast as cable even with only one
subscriber. The BPL industry has sold the power companies a bill of
goods and the few who aren't simply abandoning it after initial trials
need to be fought at a level that doesn't require FCC involvement.

I'm sick and tired of seeing the ARRL humping the FCC's leg over BPL
and being ignored. It's time to add another weapon to the arsenal. If
not an approach involving regulating BPL to death thru the state PUCs,
what do you suggest?

Every time you click on an "ads by google", you are supporting BPL.
Every time you vist a web site with "ads by google" you are supporting BPL.
If you bought Google stock, or invested in a mutual fund that did,
you are supporting BPL.

I don't believe for a second that a call to not use Google will have
any effect on BPL. It will take millions of people cooperating to
make that approach effective and you'll never get that many to
cooperate. Getting the attention of state PUCs takes far fewer people
to accomplish.

Unless you have one like Indiana's. They have stated that if the FCC is
happy there is no reason for them to get involved.

Dave N