Old December 2nd 03, 10:35 PM
Gene Storey

Well, 802.11 is the standard used for WiFi, or wireless networking cards
you can purchase for your home computers. Many people have found that
with amplifiers (even to the legal limit) covers quite a distance. Nothing to
do with Ham radio though, except that WiFi is co-mingled partially with one
of the U.S. ham bands at 2 GHz and 5 GHz.

Hams are dying now by the droves, and the modes and skills of operators is
drastically changing. No longer are the skills of building a rig from scratch
what drives new hams. They mostly want to communicate, and not be here
just for the electronics.

"larry" wrote
Greetings

My name is Larry and my callsign is ve3fxq.
I have a problem. Though I have been licenced since 1964, I feel like the
perferbial newbie. I have been away from amateur radio from around the mid
90's until now. I got my hf and vhf equipment reconnected this summer and
found radio activity far lower than when I left it in mid 90's.
Now I am retired and need a shot in the arm with some insight with the new
technology.
I am now reading about a stardard called 802....
What is it.
I am also hearing the people are using 2.5 ghz and 5.0 ghz
I am not sure where to begin asking questions so... does anyone know of a
website that can educate me on this new 802 standard and how that frequency
is gotten to.