Old September 22nd 03, 08:41 PM
Jim Kelley

You seem to have missed the point. The particular operating system you
happen to run has nothing to do with whether or not viruses are sent to
your email address.

73, Jim AC6XG

Richard Clark wrote:

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:43:30 -0700, Jim Kelley
wrote:

If you're so sure about your 'invulnerability', why do you have seven
email filters? Try turning them off and see what you get. ;-)

jk

Hi Jim,

I have, same old spam conforming to exactly what the filters were
designed to weed out. I had to wait quite a while for any to come in.

You think one filter would do it? Now there's dreaming in technicolor
and surround sound.

Among the 7, several cover 26 common explitives and variants of their
spellings (using a unix style of expression to describe them such as
X* where the star denotes 0 or more repetitions of the character X; I
do the same thing with $*). This sure beats the MS method of hotmail
security where you have to list every single person you trust (what a
crock) if you want to keep out the universe of smut. Methinks their
MSN butterfly is on the verge of intellectual extinction.

Of the others, I reject mail not addressed to me (a no brainer - eh?).

Agent would allow me to combine them all into one filter (a dream come
true?), but why bother. Most programming errors are caused by logical
statements that are so vast and cryptic that they are impossible to
read coherently - like any of 600 postings made by Cecil. ;-)

Anyway, I have been engaged in a series of emails since this last
posting (with Mike) where he is averaging 1 hit a minute, and me none
for this entire time. By his accounts, it is from newsgroup
harvesting, and it would seem the majority of sufferers here picked up
the infection somewhere else (not rraa). Of the dozen odd other
groups I follow, this topic is alien to correspondents who show no
signs of infection.

So, Jim, how have you fared during the deluge?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC (with only 1 spam today)