Old December 30th 05, 06:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Michael Lawson

Default How to sell a Drake R8B?

"John S." wrote in message
oups.com...

Joe Analssandrini wrote:
Dear John,

You're right. I guess I could have asked my question more
diplomatically. I certainly didn't mean to be argumentative. I

just
hope that David is not abandoning the shortwave hobby. While I

never
owned a Drake R8, I know it is one of the very best receivers out

there
and, even if I were buying something else, I would want to keep

it.
(Can you have too many SW radios?) There is no question that

someday it
will be considered a "classic" and should command a much higher

price
(both in absolute AND relative terms) than it does today.

I know that, frankly, it is none of my business. I am just

curious. I
do hope that, if he does in fact sell the radio, he gets a good

price
and the radio goes to a good home.

Best,

Joe

Yes, I agree the Drake ranks up there as a high performing shortwave
radio with lots of features for manipulating a signal. If it isn't

classic it soon will be along with other hobby favorites from

Kenwood,
Japan Radio, Icom and Yaesu.

On a somewhat related note, do you know whether Yaesu and Icom have
dropped their receiver lines? There were many messages about their
pending demise on this forum and at some point Universal Radio gave
some indication that was the case.

Best wishes for a fine new years....

The IC-R75 is still around. Apparently Icom took
some grief from dropping it, and they brought it
back with the UT-106 installed at the factory.

The Yaesu FRG-100b is still kicking around,
mainly because it's such a slow seller that
stocks haven't been depleted yet.

--Mike L.