Old December 31st 05, 01:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Mike Andrews

Default Collins 51J4 (Last 10 hours!)

John, N9JG wrote:
$1000 for a ? 50 year old receiver!

"Dan Robinson" wrote in message

Yep. I paid more than $1K for an all-Collins R-390/URR reworked by
Rick Mish, and I _love_ it. It's not computer-controllable, nor is
it frequency-agile. It doesn't know about FM, it takes a bit of work
or an adapter hung on the IF to get good SSB out, but it's a genuine
marvel of design and construction the like of which we probably shall
not see again.

A 51J4 is a little brother to an R-390, and a really nice RX, and yes,
it may be worth $1K to someone.

"The value of a thing is the price a buyer is willing to pay."

--
Mike Andrews W5EGO 5WPM
Extra