Old December 30th 05, 10:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Single Wire Antenna {Longwire / Random Wire Antenna} - What To Use : Antenna Tuner? and/or Pre-Selector?

Michael Lawson wrote:

I put one together last year, and yes, I agree with
Ace. Of course, sealing the darn thing properly
to prevent leakage into the case is important too.
Had to go back a couple of times to reseal it to
make sure it works, but they actually do work.

--Mike L.

-----------------------------
I have found that using the black plastic 35MM fil canisters
filled with silicon seal works very well. The Kodak ones last
much longer then the other I have checked. Don't use the clear,
or translucent ones as they will fail in a single season.

I us the plastic ones for mini DXpeditions.

If you are lucky enough to hae an aluminum 33MM cnaister they
work great! My dad was an advanced photographer so I have a
few of the aluminium and even fewer of the even older painted
steel units.

I have an aluminium unit that has been up for ~10 years with no sign
of failure.

Terry