Old January 27th 04, 01:33 PM
S. Sampson

"Jack Twilley" wrote

Thanks for the code segment. I may have asked the wrong question.

Here's another try: can this box do everything a good TNC can do, and
what modifications need to be made to programs that expect a standard
TNC?

No. The rigblaster (and the rascal--I own both) are merely soundcard
interfaces. That is, they have transformers to isolate the audio circuits, and relays
to operate the PTT. The rigblaster is popular for its professional look
and adjustments, while the rascal is popular because it is cheap and can be
thrown behind the table. Both are just audio and relay devices, and there is
no TNC in them. The TNC is the Linux/FreeBSD computer.

I haven't messed with TNC's since I ran JNOS on a linux box (about 10 years
ago), and now pretty much have my rascal on my windows box with either
AGWPE for my APRS soundcard interface, or the various soundcard digital
modes (MT63, PSK31, etc). As a matter of fact I took all my TNC's to a
swap meet and sold the whole box for $5 (and it took about 2 hours to find a
buyer). About the only stuff I have left is a couple of 19k baud Kantronics
Radios and DRSI modems that were crap when they were new :-)