Old January 1st 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery

Default 450 ohm ladder line matching (HELP)

wrote in message
oups.com...
I wonder if u could help me, i have a tri-band beam erected and am
considering using 450 ohm feeder due to the less amount of loss on the
line (as opposed to RG58)

The radio i am using is an IC-756PROII, with inbuilt ATU, will i be
able to connect the feeder direct to the beam and run it straight into
the back of my 756 (using 259 connector) ??

Or will i requrie a balun at either the beam or radio end???

hope you can shed some light on this, have got a bit confused with it

thanks in advance

Stephen Catterall

VK3SC

Unless you are running over 200 meters of coax, just go with the rg-8 size
coax of a good brand. There is not that much loss in the rg-8 coax below
30 mhz to make any differance , especially by putting in the baluns.

No you can not just connect the open line to the so239 connectors. The rig
is looking for something around 50 ohms and you already have a 450 ohm line
with the open line. Most beams are designed to be fed with 50 ohm line
also.