Old January 1st 06, 06:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy

Default using an HP 8405A to measure SWR ?

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 22:12:47 -0800, dansawyeror
wrote:

Where are these equations? I have searched the ARRL handbook for Gamma and did
not find it. This is also the first reference to rho.

I am at my holiday place, and don't have reference manuals here, so I
can't give you specific references. I am confident that the main
formulas you need will be in both the ARRL Handbook and the ARRL
Antenna Handbook (though some versions of the ARRL publications
contain an incorrect formula for Gamma / rho). They will be in any
text on transmission lines.

Because I don't have the Geek font available here, I write Gamma to
mean the uppercase Greek symbol gamma (G). Textbooks should use the
symbol.

"Gamma" (meaning the uppercase Greek Gamma symbol) is the complex
reflection coefficient and Gamma=(Zl-Zo)/(Zl+Zo) where Zl and Zo are
complex quantities. rho (lowercase Greek rho) is the magnitude of
Gamma, rho=|Gamma|. VSWR=(1+rho)/(1-rho). You can rearrange these
expressions to suit your needs. For example,
Zl=Zo*(1+Gamma)/(1-Gamma).

Be careful, there are different notations and meanings in different
texts.

You need a reference!

Owen