Old January 2nd 06, 06:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default A Bad Week For Leonard

From: on Jan 1, 6:48 pm

From: Dave Heil on Sun, Jan 1 2006 11:42 pm
From: on Sat, Dec 31 2005 7:05 am
Dave Heil wrote:

My mail carrier delivered the January, 2006 issue of QST on December 24.

Isn't that the annual "antique" issue?

1942 was, ummm, SIXTY THREE YEARS AGO! Heh, I'd say that was
"antique." :-)

But you seldom get much right. To be considered an antique, something
generally needs to be at least 100 years old. :-) :-)

Who the fork are YOU, Heil? Webster?

Obviously you've never been to all those many east coast "antique
shops."

Can someone who's not an antique know anything about antiques?

Obviously NOT! :-)

No doubt Herr Robust wants anyone speaking about antiques to
be federally-licensed in the ARS...the Antique Road Show, I
mean...

An article in QST states "Not surprisingly, hams had a central role in
it all."

Why am I not suprised?

"Camp X" was a Canadian spy school near Ottawa.

That's what the article says.

So, that isn't right? I was reading direct from CANADIAN history,
not some rewritten blurb in an amateur magazine.

Did the CANADIANS glam up the role of amateur radio operators in
"thier" history?

Not at all. On the website I showed in a link, their 7-chapter
history on Canadian Signals hardly mentions radio amateurs, just
radio.

"Hydra" station was intended to keep communications with England
during WW2. It ceased operation in the 1960s.

That's what the article says.

So, that isn't right? I was reading direct from CANADIAN history,
not some rewritten blurb in an amateur magazine.

Did the CANADIANS play up the role of amateur radio operators in
"thier" history?

Geez, I think Herr Robust wants to tell the Canadians what they
did in the past. [why not? he tells everyone else...]

More can be found under the Canadian Communications and Electronics
Branch website (as Branch History) under:

http://www.img.forces.gc.ca/commelec...ory/cont_e.htm

Thanks, Leonard. One can also read the QST article and/or the the other
books it references.

I'd rather go to the SOURCE for history information...such as
the Communications and Electronics Branch of the Canadian
military.

Did the CANADIANS shut down CANADIAN amateur radio during WWII?

I'm sure they did...but the ultimate authority here is Heil,
not our northern neighbor.

By the way, "non-antique," the CANADIAN HISTORICAL information
ALSO contains a bibliography of books on that subject. Those
were compiled earlier than the QST "article."

Hello, can we say "re-write" and "cribbing" by the QST article
author?

Only if it serves the amateur community.

No problem to QST.

Secret Agent Man!

"Secret Agent Ham," soon to be an action-filled TV series
starring Patrick Macgoohan as "X" the camp leader... :-)

There's room for the well-known profile of your likely behavior. Your
actions are accurately predicted by the profile.

"Profile" all you want, Dubya Junior.

Dave IS on the list of A-1 Operators that the gov't used to use to know
who the very best amateur operators were. But they've not needed to
look at that list in many, many years.

Sunnuvagun!

But, those at the not-very-famous "Camp X" near Ottawa were
of the clandestine amateur persuasion 62 years ago...

Most clandestine things aren't very famous.

Horse maneuvers, Dubya Junior. Go talk to James Bamford. He
wrote a few books about the CIA and the NSA. Go talk to the
curators of Bletchley Park museum in the UK. Go talk to
David Kahn, whose best-seller (on NYT non-fiction category in
the 1960s) was "Codebreakers, a History of Cryptography."
Better yet, go talk to someone else who can be persuaded
you are a super-extra-special "superior" person.

MOST clandestine things, ops, etc. are VERY famous.

That's how Steve learned of his famous seven hostile actions;
Clandestine Clancy.

Good ol' Tom! :-)

Oh? Yes, this was all about "glamour" in a little known
Canadian Signals installation...as done by AMATEURS.

AMERICAN Amateurs on CANADIAN soil.

Well, there ya go!

An amateur Extra, by extension, is an Expert on all things radio
related.

Yes, that's a given in here, any week... :-(

I DID Signals work in another part of the globe. BIG TIME
work, three-dozen-plus high-power HF transmitters on 24/7.
Do you need a link to see where and what of that? :-)

Was Dave there?

No.

Was Jim there?

Good grief, NO!

Was the author of the QST article there?

Not as far as I knew.

The only visitors were U.S. brass and a couple of USAF types
from the 16th Communications Squadron at the old Tsukishima
site (they shared the island with the Army). At the new
site NW of Tokyo at Kashiwa there were dozens and dozens of
farmers sharing the antenna field. No occidental visitors
among them, though.

It seems that you're setting yourself up as the expert on Camp X,
Leonid. :-) :-)

Who's "Leonid?"

Are we going to have to "profile" YOU, Dubya Junior?

[it's already been done...]

Dave fits Dave's profile.

Herr Robust thinks he "gets to me" with that "profile." Doesn't.

You come in out of the black with some cribbed "article" in
QST about some Canadian Signals effort during WW2 when the
history, written by Canadians themselves, was openly published
between 1995 and 2003 and think it is NEWS?

Good grief, Secret Agent Ham, you ARE dense!

And thick.

"Camp X" is better known in cryptographic circles for being
the debriefing place of USSR crypto clerk Igor Gouzenko after
Gouzenko defected (from the USSR Embassy in Ottowa) in 1945.
It wasn't made news to the world until early 1946 (that I
recall) but was then a minor sensation as the first in a
long line of USSR defectors to the USA and Canada.

Since Davie has jabbered on and on about being "in the foreign
service" I thought he would have KNOWN about another Embassy
person, especially a defector. Davie never mentioned that.

Len, you gotta give him credit for at least trying.

Brian, the Secret Agent Ham is wayyy too trying for me.

I give Davie absolutely NO CREDIT for anydamnthing but
trying to heckle non-morsemen. He hasn't earned a thing
in HERE. Yet.