Old January 2nd 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Fred McKenzie

Default measurement error or bad coax??

In article , Roy Lewallen
wrote:

Physically measure the line and calculate the velocity factor. For line
constructed like you describe, the velocity factor should be around 84%.
A significantly lower factor probably means it has water in it.

Roy-

Is this correct? As described, the "dielectric" is mostly air with some
plastic used as a spacer. I would have expected something over 90%.

Back to the question of how to get the water out. If there is a large
quantity, you might be able to pour it out. Beyond that, is there a
common technique used to dry-out cable? (I suppose a shop-vac could be
connected to one end and run for a while, on a day with low humidity.)

Fred