Old January 2nd 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
mucker

Default help me get started please

Hi. I'm new to scanning myself and have found the best of learning is to
tinker with the options, read the manual and get hold of a database with
up-to-date frequencies.

Scanning for frequencies can be very hit and miss, so entering known
frequencies into your scanner's channel memories will make huge difference.
(It easy to scan a channel of frequencies rather than a band of
frequencies!). By the way, how you organise your frequencies in the channel
memories is down to personal taste, but I have mine organised by type of
service and location.

Here in the UK this frequency database http://www.mckernan.it/proma/ is
very useful.

Also, an antenna upgrade is often very worthwhile. In the 3 weeks since I've
had my scanner I've purchased a centre loaded telescopic whip and a discone.
The whip makes a noticable difference and the discone mounted in my loft
brings in transmissions very load and very clear.

In general, the web is a very good source. There should be a yahoo group you
can join for your area/state/country, where folks share frequencies and
hints on using your particular model.

Hope this helps.

Rich