Old January 2nd 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Bill

Default Collins R-278B Receiver

In message , K3HVG
writes
Bill,
The R-278, part of the GRC-27, if my memory serves me. The GRC-27
consists of a transmitter, receiver, and modulator/power supply in a large
vertical cabinet. It weighs a ton... or more.. hi! The receiver is neither
rare nor desirable, per se. The receiver is of the older ilk of UHF military
receivers. It only has 100kHz channel spacing from 225-399.0MHz. The
later equipment has channel spacing of either 50kHz or (as the current
eqpt does)25kHz spacing. I suppose if one were to be resurrecting a
mobile control tower or the like, one might want one of these. Again,
though, its only one part of the actual radio set. That's my take on it.
Having said the above, I had one "on the air" a number of years ago that I
got from the AF MARS program. It was impressive to demo it to friends
but that's about all. I would imagine, however, that the "compleat
collector" would need to have one of these!

Hi,
thanks for the info, I am only slightly interested in it so its
good to hear from someone who knows what he's talking about.

Bill wrote:
Is this RX as rare as the seller believes it is??
Http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/A-C-E-C-Model-...0QQitemZ584959
2218QQcatego
ryZ4673QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

--
Bill