Old January 2nd 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default Hey, Steve! Rose Parade Ham Club to disband after being rebuffed by parade officials.

No Roses wrote:
http://www.torra.us/index.html

Ham radio operators to skip Rose Parade

Ham radio operators to skip Rose Parade

Pasadena Star News

By Gene Maddaus , Staff Writer

PASADENA -- A pair of ham radio operators were lugging equipment onto the

grounds of Tournament House in preparation for last year's parade when they

were stopped by a "senior Tournament official.'

"This senior Tournament person came absolutely unglued,' reports Allen

Hubbard, a board member of the Tournament of Roses Radio Amateurs. "He was

accusing them of lying to get on the grounds.'

Although they are not officially part of the Tournament of Roses, the radio

amateurs have been providing a communications link along the Rose Parade

route for more than 30 years. Radio operators have routinely "shadowed'

Tournament White Suiters, behaving like a volunteer signal corps straight

out of World War II.

But in the age of cell phones, they have begun to feel unwanted.

This week, the Tournament of Roses Radio Amateurs voted not to participate

in the upcoming parade, after suffering what they perceived to be a series

of indignities.

"This has been building for at least the last four years,' Hubbard said.

For many of the more than 250 club members, the incident at Tournament

House last year was the last straw.

"I think it's come to the end of a run,' said Bill Flinn, the Tournament's

chief operating officer. "We're sorry to see them go.'

Most White Suiters have cell phones, and don't need a radio operator

shadowing their every move. Nextel is a corporate sponsor of the parade,

and has donated a number of phones to the Tournament. That doesn't sit well

with the ham radio operators, who point out that cell phones often lose

reception in areas where ham radios work.

Amateur radio operators also tend to pride themselves on being hobbyists,

and on not being profit-seekers.

"We provide a genuine service to the Tournament,' said Earle Bunker, a club

member for 20 years. "The people we work with the White Suiters are very

much for us. They tell us that. It's somebody farther up the line.'

Bunker, who has traditionally handled ham radios at the post-parade float

viewing, said the radios often come in handy.

"Two years ago a fellow lost his insulin kit,' Bunker said. "Somebody

turned in the kit at one of the gates.'

Radio operators made the connection, and the kit was returned.

The radio group has also tracked floats with global positioning devices and

installed a dozen video cameras up and down the parade route.

"Every year, there's $70,000 worth of private equipment brought in to help

the Rose Parade,' Bunker said. "I think there are some who think they can

do it all with Nextel. I don't think they can.'

Over the years, the group has coordinated its activities from a room inside

Tournament House that acted as a nerve center. But a recent remodeling

transformed the radio room into archive storage. Over the past few years,

the group has had to transmit from a mobile trailer.

"We used to get what we felt was better cooperation,' Hubbard said. "People

on the board have felt that Nextel has put pressure on the Tournament to

get rid of us. They want people using Nextels.'

Representatives of Nextel Communications did not return calls for comment.

The radio group had been negotiating with the Tournament in an effort to

keep the relationship alive. The minutes of a July meeting suggest that at

the time, relations were strained but the radio club remained optimistic

that it could still be useful.

"Time was spent reviewing the TORRA assignments list, clarifying,

confirming and deleting positions,' the minutes state. "Most TOR chairs

will not need shadows since they have Nextels.'

The minutes also suggest that radio operators were left stranded and bored

last year, without a White Suiter and with nothing to do. When Ed

Afsharian, chair of communications and credentialing for the Tournament,

suggested that one radio position be cut, the radio amateurs responded that

the position was so important that an extra operator should be added.

The negotiations finally broke down Sunday, when the radio amateurs' board

voted to back out of the Jan. 1, 2005, parade.

The Tournament will get along without the radio operators this time, Flinn

said, and consider having them back for the 2006 parade. Hubbard said his

wife is looking forward to taking him out for a New Year's Eve party for

the first time in 15 years.

"They say new technology will take care of it, but I don't know,' said

Bunker's wife, Mary Louise, herself a ham operator and a former mayor of

Alhambra. "A lot of gals don't know what good a husband is until he goes on

a business trip.

"It's going to be a real interesting New Year's.'