Old January 3rd 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Chris W

Default Antenna spacing

Dave Oldridge wrote:

Allodoxaphobia wrote in
:

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 14:33:18 GMT, Dave Oldridge wrote:

Chris W wrote in

I want to put a short 2 meter yagi and a long 70cm yagi on the same
vertical mast. The 70cm will be a horizontally polarized, center
mounted 17' boom and the 2 meter will be a vertically polarized, end
mounted 6 foot boom. How far apart do they need to be? I will only
be transmitting with one at a time but one could be receiving and
the other transmitting, the 70cm will be for ATV receive only for
now.

A good rule of thumb is to separate them by at least a half-wave at
the lowest frequency. In this case that means about a meter (39")
apart.

Not when they are orthogonally polarized. They can be 0.000
wavelengths apart. I.e., in the OP's case, the 2M elements can be
_mounted_ on the 70cm's boom.

You're right. I didn't catch the polarization thing. In fact, building
them on the same boom would be quite workable.

What if they are 2 different antennas and you can't put them on the same
boom, how close can I put them?

--
Chris W
KE5GIX