Old January 3rd 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

Default ??Simple Reception Improvements??

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 13:41:32 -0500, "Lenny"
wrote:

NW NJ.
Lenny

"David" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 12:03:32 -0500, "Lenny"
wrote:

Hello again all.
By now, you should be getting tired of my endless beginners questions.
Well, here's another, so get over it! : )
If you recall, I have an Icom R-75 with all the Kiwa Mods, hooked up to an
Antenna Supermarket Eavesdropper
which runs into a Zap Trapper, then into the radio.
Both the radio and antenna are grounded to a cold water pipe in my
basement.
I am generally pleased with SW reception, but, as this is my first SW
radio,
I'm sure it could be better.
Does anybody have any simple improvements that I can try to improve
reception?
I'm kinda limited in my antenna placement as I only have one tree large
enough in my yard to anchor an end of it to.
The other end is anchored to my house. Both ends are anchored with rope,
and then an insulator connected to the antenna.
I'm sure I could pop for a expensive antenna like the Wellbrook, but I
don't
wanna spend that much $ now.
Whatever suggestions you have, please keep them simple as I'm not an
electrical engineer.
My listening interests are mainly International broadcast and some utility
monitoring.
Thanks,
Lenny

Where are you?

(QTH?)

With that radio you'd get the best results using the SSB modes. The
AM is OK for local stations in the daytime. S-AM mode doesn't really
work (Kiwa has a mod program for this). I listen to AMDX on my R-75
all night long in the SSB mode and it works extremely well. Use the
Dual PBT controls and the FIL button to get the most pleasant sound.