Old January 4th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob Miller

Default Vintage Suggestions?

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 20:23:37 -0500, "Lenny"
wrote:

I'm thinking more and more about the beautiful vintage tube receivers of the
past.
I love the purposeful look, the glow of the tubes, and, of course, the
performance.
So, I'm looking for suggestions on some of the best tube SW receivers that
are readily available on
E Bay and elsewhere.
Specifically, the Collins's, the Hammarlunds, and the Hallicrafters.(Please
educate me on the other classic makes)
My price limit is $500 give or take.
Oh, and I know nothing about poking around the insides of these things so I
need one in turnkey condition.
Right now, I own an Icom R75 with all the Kiwa mods.
Is it possible that some of the old receivers offer similar performance?
I'm mainly interested in international broadcasts and to a lesser extent,
ham and utility monitoring.
So, start recommending.
Thanks, and I hope this can be a fun topic.
Lenny

This gentleman, Gary, at email: posted the following
list in another group, rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

He's having tax problems, and trying to sell some of his gear.

I'd recommend any of the National HRO-series, with the 60 being the
ultimate, or the Hallicrafters receivers, or the 390 rigs.

You can google-search any of these rigs and get plenty of info.

Here's his list:

List of Boatanchors for sale as of Dec. 19th 2005

Description Condition
Price

Military:

R-1051-B with manual Excellent working
450.00
WRR-2 with manual Cosmetically VG
900.00
R-390A Miltronics rebuild w cabinet VG
1000
R390 non A VG
500.00
R-390 non A VG
500.00
R-388 with manual VG
350.00
SP-600 VG
350.00
T195 transmitter VG
450.00
R392 receiver with mount and dog bone VG
300.00
PP-4763 matching power supply excellent
275.00
CV-31D/TRA7 diversity Converter excellent
300.00
RBB Receiver VG
275.00
RBC Receiver VG
275.00
RBB/RBC Power supply with cables VG
250.00
ART-13 Transmitter Collins VG
300.00
ART-13 Transmitter Collins missing tubes Good
250.00
BC-348Q VG
275.00
BC-342