Old September 23rd 03, 04:11 AM
mike

Ok, I guess I have a handle on things now.
I am a newbie SWL still in learning mode.

To properly match the impedance of coax I must use a matching
transformer (sometimes 'incorrectly' called a longwire balun).

Guess I will have to take a look at the ICE 180, MLB, UMB...etc.

So with the tranformer my PI network tuner should resonate better (?)

I plan to keep using it regardless given its recently added back to
back voltage limiting diodes between input and ground and a static
bleed off resistor for DC to ground.

This is what I have going now and it has reduced noise.

I am running a 12 guage wire from the ground banana plug of my antenna
tuner to a copper wire brade that connects my TV antenna to a ground
rod. This composes one end of my coax ground to eliminate common mode
currents.

The other end is where the coax meets my 13 meter random wire hung on
a wooden fence.

Lacking a proper ground rod, I soldered a short length of 12 guage
wire from the coax sheild to the bottom of a diced up coat hanger (16
inches in length) and stripped away the 12 guage wire sheild for the
length of the hanger segment (exposing the copper). This I plunged
into the resonably moist soil under a lylac tree.

Hodge podge for sure. But I'm on a budget till my new job starts next
week.

Thanks for all the help,

Mike