Old February 21st 04, 07:39 PM
Pman

wrote in message . ..
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 15:21:32 -0600, "Drink" wrote:

Retrieving a webpage could still be
useful, though. Here, I'm talking about a clean, compact, commercial-free,
ham-approved webpage.

That would be very cool

However.....I don't really care abt web pages..... but REALLY miss my
Usenet groups at home.

Like I said I still have Net access here at work for researching and
looking at web pages... or downloading files.

What I was hoping was some ham way of accessing Usent-LIKE
groups.....and ham email. Basically a way for like minded people to
discuss various "topics" via jam radio.... just like we do right now
using Usenet on the Net

Hmmmmm. APRS has messaging that can send and/or receive from Internet
email. The only problem is they are short. Maybe at 9600 (soundcard
connected to discriminator) you could get what you need. Use a rig
with 9600 Packet with a 9600 setting and connector for easy
connection. Range depends on the APRS 9600 node near you.

http://www.elcom.gr/sv2agw/ has windows soundcard (as TNC) software.
You can by an interface or make one (Rig to Soundcard).

You probably want to duel boot Linux and use it's soundcard software
for stability. Get a "Knoppix" CD for easy Linux Install (free). Save
yourself the time and pay the $5 for shipping of the newest version.

This may not be everything you want but it's a step in the right
direction and it's CHEAP! If you don't enjoy seting up stuff then
don't waste your time.