Old January 8th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,sci.electronics.design
John_H

Default RF power splitter design (was something else)

Paul Burridge wrote:
On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 10:25:18 -0700, Wes Stewart
wrote:

Okay, I couldn't figure out what operational use it would have.

Actually, I've noticed that on checking up the mini circuits pointers
that the splitters they manufacture are only good for a given
frequency range. And I don't mean DC- Fx; I mean from say 30Mhz -
1000Mhz or similar. I'd have thought this type of stuff would have a
bottom end of *DC* not some relatively high radio frequency. We're
only talking about power splitters after all, not broadband filters.
So why the low frequency cut-off? Are there some capacitantances
utilized in these designs and if so, what are they doing there?

If all you need is a resistive power divider, the frequency limits
should be generous. If you want efficient power dividers (with little
loss in the splitter itself) you use wideband transformers to get the
power split.