Old January 8th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,sci.electronics.design
maxfoo

Default RF power splitter design (was something else)

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 01:07:20 +0100, Paul Burridge
k wrote:

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 10:25:18 -0700, Wes Stewart
wrote:

Okay, I couldn't figure out what operational use it would have.

Actually, I've noticed that on checking up the mini circuits pointers
that the splitters they manufacture are only good for a given
frequency range. And I don't mean DC- Fx; I mean from say 30Mhz -
1000Mhz or similar. I'd have thought this type of stuff would have a
bottom end of *DC* not some relatively high radio frequency. We're
only talking about power splitters after all, not broadband filters.
So why the low frequency cut-off? Are there some capacitantances
utilized in these designs and if so, what are they doing there?

It's probably a lumped element Wilkinson power divider design and they work at a
specific frequency range the optimum Z match is where the 1/4 wavelength is set.