Old January 8th 06, 06:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
mike maghakian

Default AM only radios..............does anybody still make them?

try ebay for an older AM only radio for a dollar or two. also thrift shops
or junk yards

"Pete KE9OA" wrote in message
. ..
I've got a Sony 6500W radio. Even with the cheapest multi-band radios
there were separate oscillator and antenna trimmers for each band. Not so
with this radio! Sony chose to use the same pair of rear mounted trimmers
for the AM and all of the shortwave bands.
What I need to find is a currently available AM only portable radio so I
can remove the tuning capacitor and mount it inside of the 6500W. The
purpose of this whole thing is so I can have a separate tuning capacitor
for the AM loopstick.
The fact that this radio uses the same trimmer pair for the SW ranges is
ok, because since the antenna circuit for these ranges is relatively low Q
tracking error is not a problem. The problem shows up when you are tuning
a loopstick that has a Q of 400+.
Now, if I can find a nice low-profile cap I will be all set. One other
thing about this radio............it is dual conversion on the shortwave
ranges but single conversion on the MW band. It isn't a bad MW performer,
though.

Pete