Old February 7th 04, 10:55 AM
peter berrett

Droll... very droll...

Trouble is that there is still a risk that just as pull into the station you
transmit a signal and somebody filling up on the other side of your pump
gets toasted.

Seriously how are most mobile packet setups wired? Are they wired into the
ignition which would turn the radio off when you turn off the engine? The
problem with this is that if someone steals your car and parks it somewhere
you won't be able to determine its location.

I'd be keen to hear how people wire and use their mobile setups.

Thanks Peter

"Roger" wrote in message
peter berrett wrote on 07/02/2004 10:17:

I have been looking at the use of APRS over packet radio and noted that

many
Amateurs now have mobile installations in their cars both for fun and to
assist in tracking the vehicle should it get stolen.

This is quite an appealing idea however I do have one concern that I

hope an
experienced mobile APRS user could assist me with.

When one visits petrol/gas stations here in Australia one sees signs

saying
to switch off one's mobile phone as the electromagnetic radiation could
cause a spark and ignite fuel vapour. It has made me wonder how to make

APRS
safe so that should you be filling up your car at a gas station you can

be
assured that a regular APRS update from your mobile APRS setup won't run

risk of causing a fire.

Have APRS users considered this possibility and what precaustions, if

any,
are taken to deal with this problem?

This works well for me - Lean slightly forward, apply gentle pressure
with index finger to button on radio labelled PWR.

--
Roger Barker, G4IDE -
For UI-View go to -